Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Metro Article on Kenny Florian

From July 19

Florian on his way to Philly


UFC. When the bell rings for the first ever UFC event in Philadelphia, Kenny Florian will have the past on his mind.

Florian can still taste the blood from his first UFC title fight. His original bid for the 155-pound title was spoiled in a bloody, five-round contest against then-champion Sean Sherk in 2006. He’s determined not to let history repeat itself.

“Since the loss to Sherk I haven’t had any off season,” said Florian, who hails from Westwood, Mass. “I’ve just been training consistently, year-round. You have to be honest with yourself.”

Florian will headline the “UFC 101: Declaration” card at the Wachovia Center against champion B.J. Penn.

Penn is nicknamed “the prodigy” for his jiu-jitsu wizardry and elastic limbs.

“On fight night I’ll still respect his skills and what’s he’s accomplished, but I’ll disrespect his strategy,” Florian said.

Win or lose, there is no shortage of exciting fights for Florian after August. Many fans are clamoring for a rematch between Florian and Diego Sanchez, who defeated him in the finals of “The Ultimate Fighter” reality show in 2005.

But on August 8, Philly’s martial arts fans can look forward to a headline fight featuring two guys that know the sport well.

“I don’t consider myself a fighter,” Florian said. “I have always considered myself a martial artist.”

No comments:

Post a Comment